I am delighted to offer preorders for all six of my Little Women-inspired colorways on House Blend no. 2, my perfect yarn blend for shawls and accessories. Choose your color and we'll happily dye it for you. Please note that shipping timeframes are an estimate based on our dye capacity.
A generous dose of cashmere, the perfect twist.
I chose my House Blend yarn bases for their softness, drape, and quality. You put time and love into your knitting project, and we make your yarn with an equal amount of care.
The process begins in my San Francisco home studio. First, I imagine a fresh color palette that brings to life the story we’re celebrating. Then, depending on the technique needed, one of my dye partners or I will create the colorway by hand in small batches of just 4 or 5 skeins at a time.
I firmly believe that color applied by hand, like this, takes on a vibrancy and life that can’t be mass-produced. Each skein is full of kindness, beauty, and an authentic connection to a story you love.
Little Skein House Blend no. 2
70% superwash fine merino wool, 20% cashmere, 10% nylon
400 yards | 115 grams
To knit All My Girls, you will need 2 skeins of a main color and 1 skein of a coordinating color.
● Lake Geneva (aqua blue) | inspired by Amy: A perfectly pert soft aqua, with some skeins leaning more blue and some leaning more green.
● Vanity Fair (coral) | inspired by Meg: A rich coral with shades of rose and watermelon, like blushing cheeks and roses by candelight.
● Soft Sunshine (buttercup yellow) | inspired by Beth: A soft buttercup yellow, like Beth's quiet and sunshiny, gently speckled with sparse dots of gold.
● Good Strong Words (soft green) | inspired by Jo: This is a complex green, soft in some lights and strong in others, with undertones of yellow sunshine and a mature overwash of grey.
● Marry for Love (deep green) | inspired by Marmee: A wise and cool deep green with layers of Yankee wisdom, blue and grey.
● Pickwick Club (deep blue grey) | inspired by Laurie: A slightly melancholy deep blue-grey.
Yarn details and care instructions on the tabs (above).
House Blend no. 2 leans toward heavy fingering weight. It creates a soft, plush yet still drapey fabric, and has a lovely firm twist.
● Blend no. 2 is composed of 70% superwash fine Merino wool, 20% cashmere, and 10% nylon.
● Use for next-to-skin accessories like shawls, cowls, fingering weight hats and mitts.
● Not ideal for socks because of the fine wool and cashmere content (the regular wear and tear of socks will cause pilling, so they won't last as long).
● For shawls, aim for a gauge of 18 to 24 stitches per 4 inches, which is usually achieved with a needle size of US 5 to 6 (3.75 to 4.0 mm).
Beauty in difference. Each skein is dyed by hand in small batches of just 4 or 5 skeins. There will be variations in color intensity and placement. We think that’s part of what makes each skein perfect – they’re not identical. If you will be using more than 1 skein in your project, alternate skeins to blend any color differences.
Care for your Little Skein yarn as you would a fine garment.
Your finished shawl or other item should be hand-washed in cold water with a gentle wool wash and cold-water rinse. Depending on the difference in chemistry between your local water and mine, there may be some color bleeding in the wash process. Washing and rinsing in cold water will help to minimize this.
Learn more about how water affects color in this article in the June 2018 issue of Spin Off magazine.