Yarn holds memory, feeling, hope and longing. It is the potential of wrapping a loved one in the warmest hug. It is a brisk spring evening cuddled by a fire. It is a summer night with the family, stargazing at your campsite.
This yarn, Targhee Sweater, perhaps more so than any other I dye, carries all of my good intentions. The yarn isn’t showy. Its glory comes in touching it, working with it and wearing it.
• It’s gentle on the earth: non-superwash, grown and spun domestically.
• It’s next to skin soft and durable for wearing. Targhee sheep are a new-ish breed of sheep that blend long and short wool specifically to make the perfect yarn for hand-knitters.
• My style of hand-dying and this yarn synchronize like peas and carrots. I create layers of color, with intentional dark blips to mimic low-contrast speckles when knit. The final fabric color is rich, layered, and squishy delicious.Targhee Sweater can be used in most any pattern that calls for a gauge between 16 and 20 sts to 4 inches (10 cm). It looks best in garments that look beautiful with a bit of body and structure.
100% non-superwash domestic Targhee wool
220 yards | 100 grams
Colorway: Herdwick (originally created for the Flourish tam and cowl)
Color notes: A warm, mid-tone green that is mossy in some places, emerald in others. It reminds me of Herdwick sheep grazing on warm, green grass, in the rolling hills of England's Lake District.
Yarn details and care instructions on the tabs (above).
Targhee Sweater is a robust worsted weight yarn. It is happiest at a gauge anywhere from 16 to 20 sts to 4 inches (10 cm). My favorite gauge for Targhee Sweater is 17 to 18 sts to 4 inches.
• Targhee Sweater composed of 100% non-superwash Targhee wool.
• Ideal for sweaters, mittens, hats or cowls—anywhere you prefer a bit of body, rather than drape.
• Targhee is one of the newer sheep breeds and its wool is three-quarters fine wool (like merino) and one-quarter long wool, making it a wonderful combination of soft and strong.
• Read more about the Targhee sheep's fascinating history here.
Beauty in difference. Each skein is dyed by hand in small batches of just four skeins. There will be variations in color intensity and placement. I think that’s part of what makes each skein perfect – they’re not identical. If you will be using more than 1 skein in your project, alternate skeins to blend any color differences.
Hand wash and always air dry.
Targhee Sweater should always be hand washed with a gentle wool wash and cold-water rinse.
Depending on the difference in chemistry between your local water and mine, there may be some color bleeding in the wash process. Washing and rinsing in cold water will help to minimize this. If you prefer to wash your socks in warm water, I recommend adding a color catcher to the wash. You can learn more about how water affects color in this article in the June 2018 issue of Spin Off magazine.
Always let your knitted item air dry to prevent shrinking or felting and to keep it looking its best.
I purchased the Targhee Sweater yarn in Herdwick. It is a beautiful variegated green, that reminds me of evergreen foliage. The yarn is wonderfully squishy and springy and round. I am really enjoying knitting with it and highly recommend Anne's lovely yarns!
The skein of Targhee sweater yarn I received is lovely, rustic without being scratchy, sturdy and inviting at the same time. The color is a sophisticated semi-solid with just enough variegation to add depth to the stitches. It's destined to become a cabled hat--and I anticipate that it will be warm, robust, and a good match of yarn to knitted project. I preordered with confidence, knowing that Little Skein in the Big Wool offers customer service that's prompt and reliable. I am pleased with my order and will definitely return.
I purchased a large quantity of the Targhee sweater yarn to make matching sweaters for myself and my daughter. I have not cast on yet but the yarn is sooooo beautiful and squishy. I am planning cabled sweaters and I just know this yarn will be perfect to make the cables pop! It was very easy to preorder via the website and the yarn arrived very quickly.
Lovely squishy skein of the new Targhee Sweater yarn. I love the sock yarn, so I can't wait to cast on for my Hatdana. I really love the way the yarn takes the dye and the blue in Hudson is very pretty.