Lichen & Joy is the second design in my Beatrix Box subscription series.About the inspiration:
Did you know that Beatrix Potter was both bold and unique for her time? In Victorian England, when Beatrix came of age, upper class white women were expected to marry and keep house. However, Beatrix steadfastly pursued a career as an independent artist and, later in life, used her earnings to become a farmer. The Lichen and Joy shawl is an homage to a little-known passion that Beatrix had for mushrooms, lichens, and scientific research.
This shawl is a celebration and wish for you to experience the kind of joy, independence, and comfort that Beatrix did. Whether you find your joy in lichen, forest walks, or a love of wool, this shawl celebrates the unique pleasure of following your own path in the world.About the shawl:
To knit this shawl:
- It's an asymmetrical triangle, knit on the bias
- It uses two skeins of sport-weight yarn, and looks best with a hand-dyed speckle and a semi-solid
- I designed Lichen in the midst of San Francisco's COVID-19 shelter-in-place and found it to be my perfect type of knitting, too: soothing, fresh, and full of meaning.
- Because my usual model is also sheltering in place, I'm partnering with six artists and makers to wear the shawl and create self-portraits of joy. The self-portraits will debut on Instagram in late July.
- You should know how to knit, purl, reduce and increase stitches.
- Be able to follow a chart for simple texture or follow written instructions
- The pattern has been tech edited and test knit